We understand small businesses. While a large company may have full time employees to perform all aspects of system or database setup, software development, and maintenance activities, a small company needs these services infrequently and may not have the resources to perform them. Ross Sampson Consulting specializes in filling that gap with temporary skilled resources.
Our work includes tasks of varying scope for small to medium-sized companies. so we offer a variety of contract options. Depending on the work involved, services are available on a project basis, a consulting basis, or a retainer basis. Billing terms are net 7 days on all contracts. A few examples are listed below:
- Project = a task with definite begin and end points. The task may be only a portion of the total endeavor, such as just the testing phase of a piece of software, or just the research/design portion of a system architecture. A task can also be all-inclusive, such as design-to-delivery of a Web site or a small business application.
Payment schedule: negotiated.
- Consulting = temporary expertise provided for as long as required; by the hour effort, rather than beginning to end of task.
Payment schedule: depending on the number of consultants involved, maximum interval = monthly, minimum interval = weekly.
- Retainer = on-going professional support dedicated for a preset number of hours per month, with availability for additional hours. A retainer contract is similar to a maintenance contract; minimum contract length is 6 months, maximum is 1 year.
Payment schedule: monthly retainer fee paid in advance each month, any additional hours for the month are billed at the end of the month.
Follow this link for a non-technical description of our Services.
Web pages easily communicate company and product information to a wide audience. Services are available to help create a corporate Web presence or update an existing one. Ross Sampson Consulting uses development methods for Web sites and Web-enabled applications that promote accessibility and portability, and offers internal network setup to help your company convey corporate, contact and product information to a broader customer base.
- Contact information - your Web site can contain your phone and fax numbers, business hours, direct email links, branch locations with driving directions and any other information potential customers may need to find you.
- Let your Web site advertise and collect for you - list career opportunities and receive candidate resumés, display product and ordering information, show a list of customers or client testimonials, and collect customer comments/feedback.
- Present your company image - give company history and executive management biographies to provide a corporate background for potential customers, investors and employees. Describe the evolution of your business or products, remember educated consumers make better choices.
- Web Services Lite - sampler design page, elephants and Web site parts.
Incorporating accessible design into Web sites or Web-enabled applications is not only a good idea, it is also a requirement for all newly developed government Web software, per U.S. Section 508 Accessibility Guidelines. According to a document posted by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), accessible Web design is beneficial to businesses because it can increase market share and audience reach, improve efficiency, demonstrate social responsibility, and reduce legal liabilities. Follow this link to the W3C document for more details. Ross Sampson Consulting develops software according to accessibility guidelines. We provide:
- For new Web sites - design, development and delivery of accessible Web sites.
- For existing Web sites - accessibility analysis and compliance suggestions, or redesign for accessibility compliance.
- Accessible Web-enabled small application design and development.
- Accessible Web-enabled small business tool design and development.
- Accessibility Lite - sampler design page, how to get from where you are to accessible.
System architecture includes the entire system, not just the software and database. Ross Sampson Consulting can offer solutions for architecting a new system or evaluate and suggest refinements to a current one. We can assist with the selection of compatible hardware and the best network for your PC or UNIX-based application.
- Existing system analysis and suggestions for improvements or upgrades to hardware, software, networks, and configuration.
- New system design: requirements based architecture recommendations for stand-alone, distributed, or Web-based systems; use of off-the-shelf or custom developed software; design considerations for messaging between components; user interface; database product recommendations.
- Product research and system/component compatibility investigation.
- Architecture Lite - sampler design page, hard hat optional.
Database needs can change. For example, new data mining activities could necessitate a formal data warehouse setup, or data quantity may surpass the capabilities of the original storage method. Possibly a new system design requires a database but there is some doubt as to the correct choice. Ross Sampson Consulting offers database expertise for new or existing databases.
- Whether the task is adding a database to a new system design, or adding a "real" database to an existing system, assistance is available with database vendor/product suggestions, new database design, storage capacity and speed information, or current database redesign and tuning.
- To get more from the database you have, ask for a database analysis and recommendations on maintenance schedules, archiving schemes and data pruning for optimum performance.
- Let your database work for you - advice on and development of automated database reports, examination for properly used indexes and analysis of stored procedures.
- Give your database a user interface - development of easy-entry Web based applications to facilitate user entry from local or remote locations. Your database users will be able to view, enter and modify data entries without having to remember table/field names or trudge through the entire database. We design in user security levels to your specifications.
- Database Services Lite - sampler design page, walking in a data wonderland.
Small business tools or applications customized to fit your business model may not be available in a box. Ross Sampson Consulting software development services are available to craft tools that help you do business faster and more efficiently without changing your business rules.
- Development of small Java or Web-based applications and small business tools.
- Development includes: requirements gathering, design documentation and preview for specification agreement, software development, test, creation of user guides and software/documentation delivery.
- Development of data mining reports to your specifications.
- Software Services Lite - sampler design page, take time to relax on the beach.